Statutory & Mandatory Training: Clinical Package
Staff working in a healthcare environment need to ensure that they undertake statutory training to ensure they are able to do their job safely.This training package is designed to provide effective learning for staff to ensure they understand how to work safely in a healthcare environment.
Staff working in a healthcare environment need to ensure that they undertake statutory training to ensure they are able to do their job safely.
This training package is designed to provide effective learning for staff to ensure they understand how to work safely in a healthcare environment. It is ideal as induction training, and can be completed by staff at their convenience as all progress will be saved.
There are challenges throughout the course to test your knowledge on what you have learnt so far.
Equality, Diversity and Human Rights
- Be able to define the terms ‘equality’, ‘diversity’ and ‘human rights’.
- Understand how legislation promotes equality, diversity and human rights
- Recognise the benefits that an inclusive approach can have on society, your organisation and the people you work with.
- Know how to treat everyone with dignity, courtesy and respect and value people as individuals.
- Understand how to promote inclusion in your workplace.
- Know what to do if you have concerns about equality and diversity practices in your organisation.
- Understand the purpose and benefits of monitoring equalities and health inequalities.
Health, Safety and Welfare
- Have a better understanding of health and safety legislation.
- Have an awareness of health, safety and security, occupational health and wellbeing provision.
- Know about the risk assessment process in your workplace.
- Know about the incident reporting process in your workplace.
- Understand what conflict is, how it arises and how the risk of conflict can be minimised.
- Appreciate the role of communication in conflict and conflict management.
- Be able to describe the procedural, environmental and legal context of violence in the workplace.
- Know what to do if a violent incident occurs and understand what support is available.
- Be able to describe the role of Local Security Management Specialists in keeping NHS staff safe.
- Understand the characteristics of fire.
- Know the fire hazards in your workplace.
- Be aware of the importance of fire risk assessments.
- Practise and promote fire prevention and fire safety.
- Know how to act in the event of a fire.
- Be familiar with fire evacuation procedures.
Infection Prevention and Control (Clinical)
- Know how you can contribute to infection prevention and control in your workplace.
- Be able to demonstrate the standard infection prevention and control precautions relevant to your role, such as hand hygiene, personal protective equipment, exposure to blood and bodily fluids and waste management.
- Be aware of specific types of healthcare-associated infections, such as MRSA and Clostridium difficile, their symptoms and how they are managed.
- Understand your responsibility to prevent passing on infections in the workplace.
Moving and Handling (Clinical)
- Recognise the importance of good back care and identify risk factors that may cause injury.
- Understand your organisations and your own responsibilities for promoting best moving and handling practices.
- Understand the factors to be included in a risk assessment and choose suitable risk control strategies.
- Know where to access additional resources including legislation, local/national policies and guidelines
- Know how to provide patients with the best quality care, using safe and dignified moving and handling strategies.
- Understand how communication and risk assessments ensure the safe handling of patients.
- Understand the nature of harm to adults at risk and recognise a range of abuse factors, including the risk factors for radicalisation.
- Understand how healthcare environments can promote dignity and rights through person-centred care to help keep people safe and maximise their decision-making.
- Know what to do if abuse is suspected, how to respond to alerts and referrals and how to reduce risks after a disclosure, including implementing emergency systems and protective strategies for those who decline services.
- Be aware of relevant legislation, local and national policies and procedures and local arrangements for multi-agency safeguarding.
- Understand the purpose of investigations and the roles and responsibilities of the agencies involved, including gathering initial information, the thresholds for investigating and maintaining records and sharing information.
- Know the actions to take if you experience barriers in alerting or referring to relevant agencies, including how to raise concerns within local whistleblowing policy procedures.
- Basic Know about child protection issues, including definitions, indicators, legislation, guidance and processes.
- Understand the importance of children’s rights as reflected in legislation and key statutory and non-statutory guidance.
- Understand what is meant by child development in the context of safeguarding.
- Understand the scale of abuse and the types and potential signs of child maltreatment within the context of normal child development.
- Know how abuse and neglect can impact on children’s development and how to recognise this.
- Have a greater awareness of the potential risk factors which may increase the likelihood of abuse in children’s lives.
- Have a greater understanding of the additional vulnerabilities of looked-after children as a result of their experiences of abuse in childhood, and know best how to support them and meet their needs (or to achieve stability and recover from abuse).
Basic Life Support (Clinical)
- Understand national guidelines and local resuscitation policies and procedures.
- Know how to recognise and respond to patients with clinical deterioration or cardiorespiratory arrest, escalating care in accordance with local policy.
- Be able to initiate an appropriate emergency response, including:
- Initiating and maintaining effective chest compressions
- Providing basic airway management, i.e. ensure an open airway
- Initiating and maintaining effective lung ventilations
- Operating an automated external defibrillator
- Understand your individual role and responsibilities in responding to an emergency event and working within the limits of your personal capabilities.
- Know how to apply the local Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation policy.
- Understand the principles of information governance and how they apply in everyday working environments.
- Understand the importance of data security in health and care organisations.
- Be familiar with the fundamentals of data protection, confidentiality and the Caldicott Principles, in line with the GDPR.
- Know how you can apply and maintain information security guidelines within the context of your role, avoiding threats – including cyber threats – to data security and identifying near misses and incidents.
- Be able to maintain good records in line with information governance principles, and apply best practice in your workplace.
- Understand the responsibilities of healthcare organisations and individuals under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
All of the courses are accredited by CPD. The certificates, awarded upon successful completion, can be used to log your hours against.
Each course usually takes between 1-2 hours each to complete, depending on the speed of learning. Learners do not have to complete all the training in one session as progress is recorded throughout and the training can be paused and resumed in our learning management system at any time.
This training package is aimed at anyone working in a healthcare role such as care assistants, nurses, doctors, dentists, health visitors, etc.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
Test and certificate
Each end of course test consists of 15 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test six times at no extra cost.
If learners do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our support team.
Learners will be able to download a digital certificate on completion of each course. This can be printed, and we suggest you keep it for your records.
£55.00 + VAT
Volume discounts available
Whether you are booking for yourself or for your team we can help. What’s more we can offer a discount on volume orders.
Click the button below or call us to speak to one of our team members to discuss.
You will learn
Who is it for?
What our clients say
Optimal People and Business are experts in all things HR. We worked successfully with them to produce a series of information videos to help businesses during the Corona lockdown. We are looking forward to working with them again in the near future as we grow our business.
We personally dealt with Vici at Optimal and she was a delight. She was open and honest and gave great advice and guidance. She helped us deal with what could have been a very difficult dismissal with a problematic member of staff. I would not hesitate to recommend Vici to any business for their HR.
Can’t thank Mel and the team enough. Really helped my business in a crisis. Looking forward to working with you and the team.
Brilliant service, friendly staff, lovely team
Amazing service and support from extremely knowledgeable people, who also take great care in the standard of their work. Can't fault them, thank you so much!
5* all round, Mel was extremely helpful and answered all my questions, very friendly and professional. Recommended to others and would definitely use again. Thank you again Mel and Helen.
Mel and her team are fantastic, help me all along the way with some complex issues. Couldn't recommend more.
I've used Optimal PBS on a couple of occasions now to assist with due diligence on an acquisition i've been working on and also to provide contract and handbook production. Cannot fault the support or advice provided.
We love this company and Mel is a god send to our business, she sorted everything for us from employee contracts to helping us source the right accountant, she is at the end of the phone whenever I have any HR questions (even when on holiday) can not fault her commitment. Keep up the good work!
Meet our Learning & Development experts
PA and Senior Administrator