The Whitely AP Academy are an Alternative Provision Academy serving the Calderdale area and are based in Illingworth, Halifax. The Academy is commissioned by Calderdale Council to provide eighty places for young people across Key Stages 2, 3 and 4. The Academy is part of Impact Education Multi Academy Trust, a Trust dedicated to improving the life chances of children and young people.
Over time the academy has expanded and we are now supporting their search for an experienced Caretaker to join the client’s growing team at The Whitley AP Academy, Halifax.
The Whitley AP Academy is part of the Impact Education Multi Academy Trust
Post Title: Caretaker
Reporting to: Business and Data Officer
Contractual Hours: 37.5 per week – split shifts, all year round
Remuneration: Scale 3 (SCP 5-6) £19,916 – £20,314
Purpose of Post:
To assist the Business & Data Officer in ensuring that the site and its buildings operate on a day-to-day basis including:
- Being responsible for the security of the school’s buildings and grounds.
- Contributing to the health and safety of everyone who uses the school; including reporting defects and issues to the appropriate line manager.
- Facilitating the use of the school by pupils, staff, governors, parents / carers and others.
- Maintaining the school to a high standard of cleanliness and maintenance.
- Working in accordance with the ethos of the Academy by positively interacting with colleagues, pupils, and parents / carers.
Key Responsibilities Security:
- Security of the school, including the opening and closure of buildings and grounds as appropriate.
- Routine liaison with contractors, and be a link for dealing with incidents.
Health & Safety:
Monitoring health and safety standards of the school’s estate
- Contributing to the organisation of fire drills, maintaining safety equipment and systems and test fire alarms in accordance with the school’s procedures.
- Liaising with police / fire services.
- Ensure the ‘Every’ compliance system is maintained.
- To assist with the completion of records as specifically directed by his / her line manager.
- To comply with the building emergency procedures with respect to evacuation, invacuation, lockdown, fire etc.
- Appointment, management and supervision of cleaning staff through liaison with the Business & Data Officer; development and training of cleaning staff.
- Monitoring of cleaning standards throughout the school.
- Control of collection / removal of all rubbish from school.
- Routine clearing of school grounds including the parking area and steps, walkways, MUGA etc.
- Removal / cleaning of all graffiti.
General maintenance and minor repairs including but not exclusively:
- School heating systems.
- Removing broken glass and boarding of windows.
- Unblocking lavatories, cleaning up after accidents / illness, unblocking outside drains and gullies.
- Replacing light bulbs / tubes.
- Repairing lockers, hasps, staples, hinges and door handles.
- Polishing and sealing of wooden floors.
- Salting and sanding outside areas in winter.
- Undertaking routine legionella testing.
- Painting and decorating.
- Other maintenance as required.
- Setting out furniture in classrooms, offices, the hall or gym as required.
- Setting out the areas of school for exams, meetings and events and contributing to the provision of catering and cleaning as appropriate for meetings.
- Moving furniture and equipment as required.
- Day-to-day portering of supplies, materials etc.
- Cleaning duties, as required.
- Attending staff meetings as appropriate.
- Liaising with external contractors and routine tradesmen.
- Other duties as required by the Business & Data Officer.
- Collection and delivery of the minibus for school use and for servicing and fuel requirements.
- A flexible approach to working hours is essential.
Key Responsibilities for support of the Academy:
- To contribute to the overall values and vision of the Academy.
- To undertake personal development and improve own practice through training and other learning activities including performance management as required.
- To work as part of a team and support the role of other people within the team.
- To act as a role model demonstrating the Academy’s values at all times, including being aware of and responding appropriately to the individual needs of staff, pupils and visitors.
- To be aware of and comply with policies relating to safeguarding, child protection, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, reporting any concerns to the appropriate nominated person.
- To provide administration support to the Academy as directed by your line manager.
These duties are neither exclusive nor exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties and responsibilities and activities relating to the general administration and control of the school as may reasonably be required.
Please note we reserve the right to close the vacancies at an earlier date if we find a suitable applicant.
This is a truly amazing opportunity for the right candidate. For an informal chat, please call 01422 897 152 or to apply for the role, please click the link attached here: https://i-mat.org.uk/working-for-us/
The Whitley AP Academy is committed to safeguarding staff and students and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. All posts are subject to an enhanced Disclosing and Barring Service DBS check. All interviews will include a question about Safeguarding and any anomalies identified in pre-recruitment checks will be discussed at interview.